Reading

After having discovered Sky Arts' coverage of the Hay Festival, I've recently rekindled my love of reading - anything and everything.

Throughout the coverage they had so many interviews with so many amazing authors, who all added to their list of books to read before you're 21. Now, turning 21 in a few mere months means that isn't at all going to be possible. Unless somehow I develop some sort of superhuman reading ability. And so, superhuman powers aside, I thought I'd at least share the list with you all.

I'm certainly going to be adding these to my list to read.

At the moment I'm reading Crime and Punishment, purely because it's seen as something which ought to be read. But I'm finding it really enjoyable, gripping in fact. The only thing you need to get your head around is the Russian names - which my Wordsworth copy handily has a list of at the beginning of the book which you can refer to if you get confused between Lebeziatnikov and Lippevechsel.

Here's the list: http://thebookshow.skyarts.co.uk/homepage/634033/books_to_read_before_youre_21.html and it's certainly worth having a look at.



At the moment my (ever-growing) list is looking like this:

Crime and Punishment (obviously)
Wuthering Heights
Marie Antoinette: The Journey - Antonia Fraser
The Voyage of the Beagle: Charles Darwin's Journal of Researches
The Golden Notebook - Doris Lessing
A Million Little Pieces - James Frey
The Sun Also Rises - Ernest Hemingway
The Once and Future King - T.H. White




On a completely different note, I found out today that I got my first choice of honours project for next year. Which I'm over the moon about. It isn't a lab-based subject, which is a pretty bold move being a biochemistry dissertation, but I'm certain that I will do far better - and enjoy it much better - doing a literary review than actual laboratory work. Reading around a subject and collating that information is what I'm good at. I enjoy more the actual learning than the endless repetitive experiments.

Anyway, that's all for now. Hope you're all having a great day. x

No comments:

Post a Comment